About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am...a Christian, a wife, a "mother" to one Boston Terrier/Chihuahua mix dog, a wine lover, a high heel enthusiast and a raging BAMA fan!!!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

By Request...Eating Out

This is a long blog post, but totally worth the read!

I don't know why I have not done this sooner...  My friend from college/the Sorority, Katie (check out her blog - it's AMAZING - Fashion's Maven), asked me to do a post on eating out while trying to lose weight.  Jarren and I eat out quite a bit and I've managed to navigate well through it so here are my tips along with several restaurant "cheat tips"!

First things first...when I do food with points values, I guess it doesn't mean much to you if you don't know the WW Points system that well.  I have to say, don't rely solely on my blog to do it...if you really want to lose efficiently and the right way, I recommend joining Weight Watchers.  I think you can do the online only version for about $20 a month.  However, I need the accountability of weighing in each week in front of someone else (it's all VERY private, though) and going to meetings.  It really does make a difference.  The plan I do is meetings once a week (where you weigh in) and it also comes with the online tools, which are AMAZING!  I think you can sign up right now with no joining fee. 

So based on my starting weight, height, age, gender, and what I spend most of my day doing (sitting at work on a computer), I started out getting 24 points per day plus 35 bonus points per week to use any way I want.  You can split them up among your days or use them all at once for splurge meal (this is usually what happens to me). You are supposed to eat ALL of your daily points, but you do not have to eat all of your bonus points...however, I always do!  : )  The whole premise is you have to eat in order to keep your metabolism up, which is the key to weight loss.  The way WW works is, every time you go into a new set of 10's (example - if you're in the 180's and move down into the 170's), you lose 1 point per day, but keep your 35 bonus per week.  Pretty simple!  So now I get 22 points per day...and I'm .8 pounds away from moving down to 21 per day.

Here are some tips to use at any restaurant:
1. Always veer towards grilled...grilled chicken breast, grilled fish, etc.  Ask them to prepare it without any butter. 
2. Pick sides that are healthy such as steamed vegetables (again, request no butter in cooking), brown rice, fruit, etc.
3. Portions will generally be huge, so if you don't split it with someone (Jarren and I usually split an entree), request a to-go container up front and split it in half.  I promise, you will walk out of the restaurant NOT hungry, but also NOT bloated.
4. If it is a sandwich place, choose wheat bread, lean meat such as turkey (no ham, salami, roast beef, etc.).  Also, if they don't have light mayo, skip it and opt for mustard instead.  Most sauces are very high in fat. 

On to my restaurant picks...
For most restaurants you can use this great website called Dottie's Weight Loss Zone and I highly recommend it.

SUBWAY
I've put this one first because we eat there a lot...  Here is what I get:
Turkey breast on wheat - 5 Points
Cheese - 1 Point
Lettuce - 0 Points
Black Olives - 0 Points
TOTAL = 6 Points
I stay away from chips, even the Baked ones here simply because the sandwich fills me up plenty

ROSIE'S CANTINA (sorry, this is exclusive to Huntsville)
We actually probably eat here more than Subway because it is walking distance to our house.
24 tortilla chips & salsa - 6.5 Points (3 if you only eat 12...but who can only eat 12?) - break them in pieces so you don't eat them as fast
Chicken soft taco on wheat tortilla - 5 Points...here's the break-down:
• wheat tortilla - 1 Point
• 2 oz fajita grilled chicken - 2 Points
• 1/4 cup cheese - 2 Points
• lettuce - 0 Points
MEAL TOTAL = 11.5 Points (BTW - this does not include the beers I typically drink...Miller Lite is 2 Points per bottle).

MEXICAN RESTAURANTS
24 tortilla chips & salsa - 6.5 Points (3 if you only eat 12)
Your safest bet are fajitas...ask them to use as little butter as possible and ask if they can substitute wheat tortillas. 
Choose chicken instead of steak.
DO NOT EAT THE GUACAMOLE OR SOUR CREAM- ASK THEM TO NOT EVEN BRING IT
1 fajita chicken wrap will be about 6-7 points if you add cheese to it (4 if you don't)
You can also get by with a taco salad as long as you DO NOT EAT THE SHELL.  1 taco salad is probably about 7 points if you ask them to cut the cheese in half with no guac and no sour cream (these two items are Points killers...you can manage without them).

CHINESE RESTAURANTS
Choose vegetables or lo mein instead of friend rice
Choose chicken items that are not friend or breaded...basically stay away from General Tso's chicken, Sesame chicken, Sweet & Sour chicken, Honey chicken, etc.  Most of those are actually friend twice.  Yikes!
Good choices include:  Bourbon chicken (most I've been to have this), Chicken & Broccoli, anything with non-friend shrimp.
There is nothing at PF Chang's you can eat and stay on plan.  I know you were going to ask... : )

PANERA BREAD COMPANY
Low-fat Chicken Noodle Soup - 2 Points
Half Asian Sesame Chicken Salad - 5 Points
DO NOT EAT THE BREAD
TOTAL = 7 Points

CHICK-FIL-A
8 pack chicken nuggets - 6 Points
Buffalo Sauce - 0 Points
Fruit Cup - 1 Point
TOTAL = 7 Points

MCDONALD'S
We don't ever eat food here...but we get this little treat almost daily!
Ice cream cone - 3 Points (!!!)

Typically one splurge meal per week helps me do better...notice I said splurge MEAL, not DAY!

Refer to the website about, Dottie's Weight Loss Zone, for thousands more restaurants.  Just click the Restaurants link at the top of her page and you're off! 

Please let me know if any of you decide to join Weight Watchers...I would love to have a buddy to share success/tips with!

Eat to live...don't live to eat!

3 comments:

  1. Yay - thanks for doing this post! Very helpful. Jared and I like to go out once a week and I really don't want to give that up since we look forward to it. Glad to have some tips and tricks to try now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your tips. My friend just had a baby and wanted to join so I did too to be her buddy. I'll have my second weigh in next week. I'm really learning a lot already! Need to get back in those skinny jeans from college days :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know the feeling! I just slid on a pair of jeans today that I haven't been able to wear in over a year and a half - and they were a little loose! What a great feeling! Where do you weigh in and what time? I do the Kroger Shopping Center at the corner of the Parkway and Logan at 8:30 Saturday mornings.

    ReplyDelete