About Me

My photo
Alabama
I am...a Christian, a wife, a "mother" to one Boston Terrier/Chihuahua mix dog, a wine lover, a high heel enthusiast and a raging BAMA fan!!!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Drink Up, Buttercup!

I cannot believe "summer" is almost half way over.  I know technically it isn't because it didn't technically begin until June 21, but in my little world, summer is June and July...and sometimes August.  But when school has already started back, I consider summer over.  With summer, though, comes all the fun of grilling out, BBQ's, cool food, and my favorite...fun, summery drinks!  I've got a break-down for you of some of my absolute favorites with the points break-down (as well as I could figure up anyway).

I'll start with BEER...what goes better with grilling meat on the grill and some summer tunes on the stereo than a cold beer?  Nothing, that's what.  Of the domestic "lights", these are the two I drink:


Miller Lite - 2 Points (per 12oz bottle)
Coors Lite - 2 Points (per 12oz bottle)


I also have been known to "treat" myself with the following higher point beers (these two are actually my two favorite beers):

Woodchuck Amber Cider - 3 Points (per 12oz bottle - this one also has a higher ABV at 5%)
Landshark (brewed by Jimmy Buffett) - 3 Points (per 12oz bottle)


Now I also LOVE wine.  It's the perfect compliment to the Bachelorette on Monday nights.  It's also the perfect compliment to...well...life!  Barefood is my brand of choice.  They make just about every variety and it is very tasty and very reasonably priced ($10.99 with my Kroger Plus Card for the double-size bottle).  My favorite is the Pinot Grigio.  I like the green apple, peach, and citrus flavors that go along with a Pinto Grigio much better than the vanilla and peach flavors that go with a Chardonnay.  Here's the breakdown of the Barefoot line (PS - the picture does not show every variety and my description came from the Barefoot website):

Pinot Grigio (green apple, white peach, floral blossom, citrus)
Moscato (peach, apricot, lemon, orange)
Chardonnay (vanilla, honey peach, Fuji apple)
Riesling (fruity, with orange, apple, and lemon)
Sauvignon Blanc (honeydew, nectarine, white pear)
White Zinfandel (or the white trash of wines as I call it - peach, pineapple, strawberry, and pear)
Pinot Noir (black cherry, raspberry, dark spices)
Cabernet Sauvignon (currant, raspberry, blackberry, vanilla)
Shiraz(blackberry, blueberry, and mocha)
Merlot (red cherry, boysenberry, and plum)
Zinfandel (cherries and raspberries)
Each flavor is 2 points per 5 oz glass (but I will seriously think there is something wrong with you if you can manage to only drink one glass!)


Finally, the cocktail.  Jarren and I just sort of stumbled over this one over the 4th of July weekend when we couldn't find all the ingredients for a Bama Breeze.  I've named this one His & Hers because it involves banana (hee hee!), coconuts (tee, hee, hee) and oranges (got nothing here...).  

It's about 5 points per cup, but oh-so-worth it!  Mix 1 part banana rum, 1 part coconut rum, and 2 parts orange juice.  Serve over ice...but be careful!  It's half alcohol so this one will slip up on you!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer like we are!  So much fun stuff coming up for us and I will continue to update you as always with my weight-loss success and what I'm eating!
Eat to live...don't live to eat!


1 comment:

  1. because it involves banana (hee hee!), coconuts (tee, hee, hee) and oranges (got nothing here...)


    Haha. The drink sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete